Thursday 7 June 2012

Solange Knowles: Style Icon

"Style is the canvas of our individuality. An outlet for expression."
-Solange Knowles

We all know Solange as the young sister of superstar Beyoncé, but over the past few years the other Knowles has been making a name of her own. In fashion she is part of that small circle of black women who know how to take dressing up to the next level.

Solange who is currently working on a new album, is that girl who can rock bold print like nobody else. She describes her Personal Style as evolving, bold, unrefined and expressive. She loves vibrant colours and print fabrics, high waisted silhouettes, statement shoes, easy dresses and Doc Martens for rainy days. Her Favourite designers are Marni, DVF, Acne, Opening Ceremony, J.Crew, Boxing Kitten. She believes that the One item every girl should own is a pair of chic and comfortable flats.

"My fashion icons are Diana Ross, Erykah Badu, the Fela Kuti Queens, my uber glam mother, Chaka Khan, Bjork and the girls on the street in my hood." she says. "My most valuable possession is my sanity."

She finds inspiration in traveling, diving into other cultures face first. "The colours everywhere, the colour palette of shotgun houses in New Orleans, spices in Marrakesh, nail polishes on shelf at my favourite nail shop in Brooklyn. I just left Rwanda and have never seen colours used in such natural and spectacular way in my life. I see colour before I see any other element in design" she says.























I LOVE SOLANGE AND SHE IS MY CURRENT STYLE INSPIRATION

No comments: